We made this dish on our local Chicago station, WGN. So yummy!
Feeds 6-8 |Preparation - About 30 minutes (great make ahead meal)
From your pantry:
- 4-15 ounce cans of 8 Track Dark Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed. Save the “bean water”
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoon, minced garlic from the jar (if you don’t have fresh)
- 1 teaspoon, hot sauce (add more if you like heat)
- 1 teaspoon of EACH of the following (thyme and dried paprika(smoked if you have it!)
- ½ teaspoon salt, more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/8teaspoon cayenne
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 ounce vegetable broth (1tsp vegetable bouillon to 8 oz water)
- Couple drops of red wine vinegar
- 2 cups instant brown rice, dry (prepare according to package directions)
From your fridge:
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- Fresh scallions for garnish (not required)
- In a large skillet medium heat, add olive oil, onion, bell pepper and celery. sauté until vegetables are translucent (about 5-7 minutes). Add garlic and cook one minute.
- Add oregano, thyme, hot sauce, paprika, salt and pepper; stir to coat veggies
- Add one can of kidney beans (approx. 1-1/2 cups) and mash with back of spoon or potato masher, add remaining beans (don’t mash!). Add bay leaves, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally. Remove from heat and Add a couple drops of red wine vinegar to brighten flavors.
- While the beans simmer, prepare rice according to directions
- Serve: Ladle on bean mixture over a bed of rice and top with scallions
Food Science Tip: By smashing the beans, you release the natural starches. This naturally creates a thicker sauce.